Monday, October 21, 2019

Tattle-Tell


“When someone shows you who they are believe them; the first time.” ― Maya Angelou

Tattle-Tell

I was waiting for outside weather to bluster up inside the room at any moment.  There was plenty of reason for the tension all around to turn into lightning.  I could feel the blood pressure of everyone ushering in a “low pressure system” that would be just like a violent storm moving in from the north.  That is, right up until the time I looked just to my left, a little bit, across the table.  That one look caused the forecasted “system” to stall.  “Good Hearted” immediately came to mind, with that gaze, as I my eyes fell upon Margo Huddleston.

You and I have heard, “It’s nothing personal, it’s just business” as we’ve gone about our business.  With Margo, that’s never the case.  With Margo, it’s always personal. And, I mean that in the most personable way!  And, I shouldn’t be surprised in any way.

Margo and Laron Huddleston spend months of time every year volunteering to help other people.  They do in our valley and beyond our little valley in Texas as well, just so they can help others change their lives, one-on-one, face-to-face.

My eyes hesitated, just for one additional moment.  I knew the subject we were discussing was very important to Margo.  After all, she flew back to town from Texas, just to have the meeting.  Yet, peace radiated, like the sun, from her, so I cracked a smile.

“MarVanGogh” I said to myself. 

MarVanGogh is my nickname for her because she is a unique masterpiece!  And, at that moment, I was reminded of a quote from Anthony de Mello.

Said he, “To a disciple who was forever complaining about others, the Master said, ‘If it is peace you want, seek to change yourself, not other people. It is easier to protect your feet with slippers than to carpet the whole of the earth.’”

Now, you might think me to be a tattletale by telling you about MarVanGogh and how she is quietly making slippers for as many people as possible!  Virtually everyone knows that a Tattletale is someone who tells secrets about what someone else has done.  You know the type. 

No!  Once again, she’s given life an artful twist.  I call it “MarVanGogh’s art of becoming a Tattle-Tell.”

Maya Angelou once said, “When someone shows you who they are believe them; the first time.”

I was waiting for outside weather to bluster up inside the room at any moment.  There was plenty of reason for the tension all around to turn into lightning.  I could feel the blood pressure of everyone, ushering in a “low pressure system” that would be just like a violent storm moving in from the north.  That is, right up until the time I looked just to my left, a little bit, across the table.  That one look caused the forecasted “system” to stall.  “Good Hearted” immediately came to mind, with that gaze, as I my eyes fell upon MarVanGogh.

We should all be such Tattle-Tells!  Margo encourages all of us, through her behavior, to live so when others see our actions, “Good Heated” is exactly who they believe we are, the first time, and every time.

No comments: