Monday, July 22, 2019

Light From a Single Candle


“Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened.  Happiness never decreases by being shared.” - Buddha

Light From a Single Candle

One Friday morning, yes, it was early, I pulled up to my friend Scott Wall’s home.  When I arrived, he was already standing in his drive, ready to go.  Now, days later, this memory lights my way forward, like a candle, etching a bright picture of goodness into my awareness.

He was wearing a baseball-style-cap, jeans for working, and a long sleeve shirt while carrying a medium-size-white-cooler and work gloves.  He was also donning a bright smile that gave the rising sun serious some competition, causing all the roosters living in the area to crow in two different directions.  Yet, the roosters wouldn’t be confused for long, as we were headed east, while the sun was rising toward the west.

Our trip would also take Scott and me on an altitude increasing path.  First, we drove north on Utah Highway 36.  Then we exited onto Interstate 80 eastbound, where we drove along the multilane concrete ribbon for about an hour until we reached U.S. 40.  Once on this south bound freeway, just a little way into Summit County, we drove until we reached Utah Highway 248, which snaked its way through the increasingly high Wasatch Mountains to the town of Kamas.  In the center of Kamas, we turned south again, until we turned east on Utah Highway 35, the mountain passageway that would be the last thoroughfare to our destination, a nonprofit camp purposed to benefit teenaged girls.

Our purpose was to give time and effort to the camp.  Though, I must admit, I had another purpose.  I wanted to spend time talking with Scott.  So, we drove without music or radio on so, I could listen to my old, and good friend, fill me in on what had been happening in his life.  We hadn’t really talked for a few years and I had missed his humor, bright eyes, commitment to good doing and inimitable wisdom.  Now, that dearth, had come to an end because of this little adventure.

“Turn here!” Scott said as he pointed to a small dirt road to our right which also marked the end of UT 35 for us.

“I would have completely missed that!” I responded as I turned the car off the highway and followed the rough road toward the caretaker’s campsite.  That’s where we got out of the car and Scott donned another hat, a work hat, to shield him from the high-altitude sun. He was ready to focus on our shared purpose and led the way.

We lifted and hauled, cleaned and pulled throughout the day.  It seemed long and hard from time to time.  That is until we walked or ambled past some of the girls we were there to serve.  They smiled and thanked us as we were in their proximity.  Their illuminated faces reminded me of a specific principle taught by Buddha:

“Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened.  Happiness never decreases by being shared.”

We had shared the day together and It was now Friday afternoon. Yes.  We were tired when I pulled up to my friend Scott Wall’s home.  When we arrived, Scott got out of the car and stood on his driveway to say goodbye.  Now, just as when I picked him up in the morning, his enchanting smile was like a candle, etching a bright picture of goodness into my awareness.

“Buddha was right!” I whispered to myself was I looked at Scott and remembered the harmonizing, happy smiles of girls at the camp.  “Happiness never decreases by being shared!”

No comments: