Monday, June 18, 2018

A Loose Tie


“I just stopped by to talk.  Everything is alright!” – Steve Miller

A Loose Tie

It was that time.  Sometimes I get all wrapped up in what I’m doing and time gets away from me.  It never gets away from Merlin, my dog.  He always seems to know exactly what day it is, the time and what should be happening.  If you have a dog, you’ve seen the kind of look he walked over to give me before!  It was his, hopeful!  Are you kidding me? It’s time to go look!  So, just after 8 pm, we left our house and began walking east.

I have lots of friends living east of me, but one of them was having major surgery within the next three days so when we walked past his house I noticed the blue Toyota Camry in the drive and wondered.

“That’s not a car I see there normally.”  I muttered to myself with a slight glance and I worried just a little.

The car was beginning to point its nose into the wind and move forward out of the drive and on to the street.  At first, it began turning toward the setting sun.  Then it stopped, turned, backed up a little and its tires began their circular motion toward us.

“I thought that was you.”  Steve Miller said as he creeped up next to Merlin and me.

Steve’s tie was loose around his neck.  I knew he was tired.  We had talked earlier in the day.  He had been with clients, working.  It was a Friday night and he had worked long into the evening every day this week.  I asked him about his long hours once as we brain stormed some marketing ideas for his business.  So, I knew this was the norm for him.

“It’s what I have to do.”  He said as we brain stormed.  “You know how it is?  You work when your clients need you.”

This was just like him.  He knew his neighbor, and friend, needed some support before surgery so he stopped in to make sure everything was alright.  He stopped before he had been home.  He stopped before he had eaten any dinner. Now, his last stop, before reaching his home to receive a well-earned hero’s welcome, was on the street just so he could greet a little dog and me.

It was that time.  Sometimes I get all wrapped up in what I’m doing and time gets away from me.  It never gets away from my friend Steve.  He always seems to know exactly what day it is, the time and what should be happening.  If you have a friend and neighbor like Steve, you’ve seen the kind of look he drove over and gave me!  It was his, cheerful, is everything alright in your world, I’m here to offer you encouragement look!  So, just after 8:30 pm, Steve left our side and began driving east, on his way home, finally!

Because, you see, the hero’s in my neighborhood are wearing loose ties, because they’re out working.  Out doing good.  Before they go home, after a long day in the office.  They’re out helping their neighbors, when their neighbors need them.

No comments: