Monday, May 21, 2018

Our Rigorous Education


“Do you often get the chance to show houses before the hit the market?” – Brad Romney

Our Rigorous Education

Quiet desperation had approached, gotten near and then settled squarely in my chest!  It was the day before showing some clients from the State of Washington seven homes.  I had been worried over the past three days that they’d all go under contract.  Now I was checking them one by one.  And, one by one they were showing as being under contract.  I had to search for other options!

Then, in a stroke, an ah-ha moment, I thought of the home I had just been given permission to market.  I checked my mental buyer’s-wish-list and went down each point in sequence.  There was only one conclusion to infer.  It was the right house for these people!  I reached for my phone and called for an appointment.  I pause here because this is not the focus of the story.

There was a sequence of events that led to this point.  A seemingly unconnected string of “coincidences” that all magically worked together to bring all of the involved parties a rush of unexpected surprise, a joy of finding and success.  Since you and I have lived for some time now, we can understand how fleeting such success can be.

We are all familiar with the fiery trials life offers us.  We all have periodic “public relations” problems with others, being misrepresented and misunderstood.  We all have to simply, “take it” from time to time.  As a result, when success comes to us we happily accept the relief and live to fight another day.  This creates a sort of civil war within us as individuals; a war between optimism and cave-dark despair.  It can also delude us into a thought pattern of “I made this success of myself!”

The truth was delivered to me quite dramatically through this one experience of a universe-offered clear vision of hind-sight to illuminate its inner-workings.  There is simply no way such a diversity of people and seemingly unrelated conditions could have lined up for the success of all! 

Since life illustrates, painfully at times, our own defects, as well as the defects of others, we are bound to be periodically disappointed thereby in ourselves and in others.  We cannot expect it to be otherwise.  We and the people around us come as we are.  Our journey requires shared patience, understanding and kindness on the part of all.  We all learn as we go!

Our lives ensure that we have only a small view of reality.  The universe is too vast, diverse and full of wonder for our limited minds to comprehend.  Its immensity tempts us to feel comfortable in adopting a myopic view while neglecting the grandeur surrounding us.  After all, we all do much more “lab and field” work than classroom lectures.  We tend to see only the trees and not the magnificence of the whole forest.

Still, the patterns of coincidence, gentleness & tenderness in our lives are too striking to be accidental.  It is astonishing to us when we have eyes to see and ears to hear the larger world.  When we do, it’s clear that the universe is giving away all of its secrets in an its ongoing education of us, every one!  Perhaps, especially when we are challenged most.

Quiet desperation had approached, gotten near and then settled squarely in my chest!  It was the day before showing some clients from the State of Washington seven homes.  I had been worried over the past three days that they’d all go under contract.  Now I was checking them one by one.  And, one by one they were showing as being under contract.  I had to search for other options!

Then, in a stroke of an ah-ha moment I thought of the home I had just been given permission to market.  I checked my mental buyer’s wish list and went down each point in sequence.  There was only one conclusion to infer. There was a sequence of events that led to this point.  They were not a coincidence!  They were too striking to be accidental! 

Such instances are astonishing when we have eyes to see and hears to hear.  It is clear that the universe is caring for each one of us by providing an individual, most rigorous education!

No comments: