Monday, April 23, 2018

Imaginings


“I just take the shot and don’t worry about it.  I don’t think too much about it.  I just take the shot and then I take the next one and the next one.  I don’t worry about what may happen if I miss.  I don’t over think it.” – Donovan Mitchell

Imaginings

“I don’t know what to do.  I don’t what to lose this!” Hugo Muddles said as we talked in the hallway.  “Then, how do I respond if they come back to me?”  In rapid fire.  He continued on, dreaming up scenario after scenario until his face had become ashen in color.  I was beginning to have real concern for Hugo’s wellbeing.  He was so worried.

A little later in the day Hugo called me so he could worry about the same things.  The same details.  The same imaginings.  I went over every detail with him again, until he seemed to be satisfied.  At least until the next call.

The next call started in exactly the same way.  We rehearsed every aspect of his imaginings once more.  When we finished this third call, it was time to find a solution!  Hugo needed some inner peace, some confidence that would pave the way for his success.  As if on cue, an answer arrived on air.

I was half listening to an interview, on the radio, when the words confidence and success caught my attention.  As if on cue!  The hosts were interviewing Utah Jazz Star, Donovan Mitchell.  They talked about his three-point shooting in the last game.  He hadn’t made one in the last game.

“What gave you the confidence to keep on shooting?”  Gordon Monson asked.  “I watched Rudy Gobert pull you aside during the game and say something to you.  What did he say?”

“He told me to get more aggressive, go to the rim, to play my game.”  Donovan replied.

“And you ended the game with twenty-eight points!  How do you get your confidence back when you’re not shooting well?” Gordon asked.

“I just take the shot and don’t worry about it.  I don’t think too much about it.  I just take the shot and then I take the next one and the next one.  I don’t worry about what may happen if I miss.  I don’t over think it.”  Donovan answered.

I continued listening while driving down the road, thinking about Hugo and his important shot.  His shot is quite different from a basketball playoff shot.  But, the stakes are just as high.  He’s been practicing, preparing and playing his game many years for this very moment.  His shot is right now.

I pulled into a parking space.  Hugo’s name flashed on my phone screen.  I answered.

“I don’t know what to do.  I don’t what to lose this!” Hugo Muddles said as we talked on the phone.  “Then, how do I respond if they come back to me?”  In rapid fire.  He continued on dreaming up scenario after scenario until I was imagining that his face had again become ashen in color. 

I took a deep breath.  “Take the shot and don’t worry about it!  Don’t think too much about it.  Just take the shot, and then take the next one and the next one.  Don’t worry about what will happen if you miss.  Don’t over think it!”  I replied as I tried to channel Donovan Mitchell’s wisdom, confidence and success.

“Hum.”  Hugo said in a gasp.  “I guess I should take it one step at a time and not worry so much!”

No comments: