Monday, June 26, 2017

The Leak Detector

“I just listen so I can hear the path of least resistance.”
-       Sean Janke

The Leak Detector
I looked out the window again!  The sight was more than I could take.  I should have been seeing strong streams of water refreshing the plants in my yard.  There was no stream to be seen.  I could only see dribbling!

Dribbling is fine if you’re playing basketball.  It isn’t productive at all when trying to deliver life saving water to large areas of landscape.  I had spent more than one week trying to figure where my irrigation system was being robbed and it was the first time in more than two decades I’d failed to identify the leak!  My frustration was so excruciating that I decided to try the impossible, seek help from a long distance.

As you know, searching for an irrigation leak from long distance isn’t a common sense solution.  I knew it too!  And, I began to search for a telephone number for Sean Janke, “The Leak Detector” anyway.

I had heard rave reviews about Sean while listening to a national radio program.  He lives and works in the Dallas, Texas area.  I searched for his phone number and as I touched it, on my screen, I remember thinking to myself, “There is no way he’ll call me back!”  I left a voice mail message for him anyway.

The next day I watched a Texas based area code flash on my caller I.D.   It was Sean!

We both knew his ability to help was limited because of his distance from the problem.  And, he was happy to spend time with me talking through my problem to see how he could help.

“Water always follows the path of least resistance.”  Sean said.  “That’s why I search for leaks by listening.”

After we talked for a few more minutes, engaged in problem solving conversation he said, “Sorry I’m so far away!  Let me know what you find out.”

My search to find the leak through Sean’s listening method started at my first valve box.  I removed the lid, knelt down with my ear over the opening and listened.  I could hear water rushing.  I went to the next valve box and listened.  More water rushing!  When I had repeated this action fourteen times I was rewarded!

I found a leak in the main line at zone fifteen!  It was hidden deep in the ground at a junction.  I hadn’t been able to see any symptoms visually before.  Yet, with senses newly attuned, it was so obvious.
Sean’s technique had worked! And, following Sean’s practice of listening to the sound of the path of least resistance can become a revealing tool for you and me to use to make corrections in more than just our irrigation systems.  We can use it in all areas of our lives.

Unhappiness and frustration are the result of leaks on our time and in our choices.  Leaks take a toll on us both mentally and physically.  If we can stop leaks, our efforts can focus on what we really want to accomplish.  We can open a new, directed path of least resistance by following Sean’s simple steps.

First, understand your purpose.  Take the time to listen to what your heart tells you.  That’s the only way to know what you really want to be doing with your life.

Second, take deliberate action to listen for leaks draining energy away from your desired purpose.

Third, plug the leaks.

I closed the leak in my irrigation system by following Sean’s steps.  Now I was sitting on my front porch calmly.  My sprinklers were able to use newly found pressure to spread life-giving water over my landscaping.  It took time and effort for me to implement each step and it was worth the result!


Now I’m listening for other kinds of leaks, so I can use Sean’s steps to improve other areas of my life.  Will you follow the path of least resistance to success?

No comments: