Monday, June 13, 2016

The Flight of Joy

“Comparison is the thief of joy.”
-       Jeff Van Gundy

The Flight of Joy


In my business I spend a great deal of time doing comparable studies.  That is, looking at the attributes of one property and comparing it with those of another.  It’s a tool I use to demonstrate value or relative value.  It’s the scientific basis for much of the work I do.  And, as in all things scientific there is an artistic and relative (eye of the beholder) side to comparable studies.  I learned this lesson fairly early in my career as it was showing a particular property to a woman who was looking to purchase a home.

We drove up to the home she wanted to examine.  It was a small, white clapboard home with an unkempt yard.  I opened the front door after bouncing up a couple of steps.  Then I looked in to see that if I set a marble down, at the front door, and released it, it would roll to the back of the house and accelerate the entire way.  In short, my immediate thought after opening that door was, “This house is a tear-down!”  Then I shifted my gaze from the house to my companion’s face. 

She was not having the same experience I was.  I could see it in her eyes!

“This is exactly what I’m looking for!”  She said.  “It’s in move-in condition!”

I learned a great and important lesson that day!  And, as a result of this one experience, I try to never use my own wants, desires and preferences as a comparison for the people I provide service to.  And, I recently learned another important application of this same principle.

I was listening to an interview with basketball coach and commentator Jeff Van Gundy just the other day when he said, “Comparison is the thief of joy!”  Of course, he was speaking about the habitual practice of comparing basketball teams from differing eras.  Yet it struck another chord with me.

Have I been robbing myself of joy by spending time comparing my personality, accomplishments, physical features and possessions with those of others?  Or, am I recognizing beauty, utility, comfort, character and uniqueness when I look at who I am and what I’ve surrounded myself with?  Could this be an important question for you to ask!

I had a friend ask my opinion about a particular subject last week.  It was something I’m very passionate about.  Then, when I finished saying more than I should have said, he graciously responded by saying,  “I knew you had passionate about this!”

He could have stolen my passion and self esteem by comparing his beliefs with mine.  He could have compared my statements with those of others to show me the error of my ways. He chose another path.  He allowed me to experience a flight of joy!

It’s a flight I’d love to enjoy more.  It’s a flight I’d love to see others enjoy more as well.


Will you join me at the airport?

No comments: