Monday, April 4, 2016

Vaulting Toward Success

“When the rest of the world pushed me aside, Special Olympics created a path for me to succeed and has allow me to achieve.” – Amber Gertsch

Vaulting Toward Success

Jordyn Wieber, 2012 Olympic Gold Medal Gymnast and 2011 World Champion, was just in front of me during the NCAA Regional Gymnastics Championships as UCLA rotated to compete on the vault.  Though she is no longer competing, she was working to prepare a path for the success of the UCLA gymnasts as they warmed up to compete the event.  I watched her work quickly and carefully, as gymnast after gymnast raced down the runway just after she made essential adjustments for each one.  Then, I saw her eyes light up and her joy become seemingly boundless as she celebrated the personal success of each individual athlete.

The sight caused me to hasten back to my recent lunch meeting with another Olympian, Amber Gertsch.  You, as well as almost all others, will most likely not know this Olympian’s name.  She didn’t complete in the London Games.  She has never been signed to a worldwide sports apparel promotion contract.  But, she, like Jordyn, is working to create a path for others to succeed.  During lunch, I asked her why she wanted to help other Special Olympians and what it was that she loved about Special Olympics.

She answered,   “When the rest of the world pushed me aside, Special Olympics created a path for me to succeed and has allow me to achieve.”

She went on to describe some of the personal challenges she’s faced in her life, both physical and intellectual.  I listened to her story and felt her triumphs and trials as she recounted her journey.  And, just as each athlete reaches a culmination at the end of his or her game or performance, she delivered a notable message for my ears.

“I may be disabled, but I can still achieve!”

The entire UCLA gymnastics team was gathered in front of me after their last athlete had landed from the vault.  I watched as they cheered and were jubilant with each other because of their success.  Yes.  I saw that, but I saw more.  I saw Amber’s perfectly articulated lesson in front of me.

Not one of the gymnasts competing in the 2016 NCAA Regional Gymnastics Championships would have been in Salt Lake City competing without the help of someone else, someone to create a path for them.  I watched many gifted athletes and saw how each differed from the others.  Some stood out as exceptional while others failed to reach their own desired level of performance on this single night.  But, they were all there because of their achievements, yet not one of them would have achieved their success without the devotion and caring of family, friends, coaches and strangers.


No.  I didn’t know any of this nights competitors personally, but that’s another important part of Amber’s lesson taught.  We, you and I, will surely never know all the people who will benefit from our good work to create a path for their success and achievement.  That’s not important.  What is important is that we must not allow the world to push our efforts to do good for others aside.

No comments: