Monday, February 1, 2016

Being Lucky

“You’re lucky you came when you did!” - My Barber

Being Lucky

I was looking a little shaggy!  So, when I walked out of a meeting and looked across the street and saw a barbershop I began to make my way over.  It couldn’t have been more convenient for me and to make it all the better there was no wait!

Upon my arrival I was immediately ushered to a chair and when the cosmetologist began to put the cape around my shoulders she said, “You’re lucky you came when you did!  Look at the crowd now.”

I replied, “That’s the way it always goes for me!”

Her puzzled response was, “You’re always lucky like this?”

I said, “Yes! In fact my wife often says to me, ‘How do you always get such great parking spaces’”

“Really?”  She said with another question in tow, “How does that happen for you?”

“I just look for it to happen!  I simply expect it and it comes to me!”

When those words left my mouth and brushed my ears I realized that I didn’t always feel that way!  I was pleased with the personal change and I believe I can track its birth to my friend Kristin Murdock.

When I first met Kristin, and our mutual friend Lorraine Clark, I noticed that wonderful things, unusually great things, continually happened for Kristin.  In fact, it was so striking that I made a comment to Lorraine about it.

Lorraine’s response was, “Oh, that kind of things just follows her where ever she goes!”

That’s when I thought, “Wow, what a great way to live!  I should be so lucky.  I think I’ll become lucky like Kristin!”

It took me some practice, but I stuck at it.  I began to look for wonderful things to come my way.  I began to expect great parking spaces to be there upon my arrival.  I began to expect things to go well for me.  Soon the good just began to come to me as a result!  When they didn’t I’d say to myself, “Hum, that’s unusual.  Amazing things always happen to me, or I always get a great parking space.”

The results were so great that I decided to set goals using Kristsin’s, “Looking for it” principle in other areas of my life.  If I wanted to have five new, great clients come to me in the coming week I simply began to look for them and they would automatically be there as long as I did the work I knew I should be doing.  It’s been an amazing journey!

So, ask yourself, am I lucky?  If you can’t answer that question with a hearty yes, then begin to follow Kristin’s principle of “Looking for it” so you can initiate a change. But, be prepared, if you’re like me, you’ll need to practice before it will become your default approach to life.  Sincere practice will allow you to notice your new luck very soon!


Begin to be lucky today!

No comments: