Monday, January 18, 2016

Muscle Bound

“I would try to muscle it and that caused me to struggle!” – Jessi Butterfield

Muscle Bound


Sometimes life feels as if it is getting away.  I was having a telephone conversation with a friend this week when she said, “I was just starting to feel in control.  Then something was thrown on my desk!  I had no more time in my schedule and suddenly my I felt as if my life was caught in the vortex of a drain!”

As we talked, my heart went out to her.  I don’t know anyone who hasn’t felt that way at one time or another.  Our talk made me begin to think about how I could help her along her way.  I began to search for something that would allow me to lift her burden a little bit and inspiration came to me the very next day!

My daughter Jessi called me to coordinate her up coming business trip to Park City.  She was also giving me an update on some business challenges she and I had been working through when she made a statement that ended my search.

“Dad, remember when I was a young gymnast and was struggling to master my kip?  Remember I thought it was all about strength?  I would try to muscle it and that caused me to struggle!  It wasn’t until I began to go with the flow and got in to the right rhythm that I got it and was able to move on.”

Those long days and nights in the gym came back to me like a flood.  It was as if I had been transported by time.  I saw myself sitting on the parent seats watching Jessi work the same move over and over again with frustration on her face and tightness throughout her body.  Then on one special night, her body relaxed, her swing on the bar became graceful and she kipped right up on the bar!

At that magical moment, she looked across the floor at me and my heart leapt as I shot to my feet and screamed, “yes!”  A smile burst across her face and she did it again and again.  It was a rhythm and flow she could now feel.  She never lost her ability to do a kip again!

There are times when we all feel as if we have suddenly lost our ability.  But, it isn’t true.  Sometimes we simply forget to get in touch with the rhythm of life.  When that happens we suffer from the illusion that we can “muscle” our way through it and force the world to be under our control.  But, total control of life is a deception.

The realization that my friend had been working in an illusion caused me to call her and let her know that she hadn’t lost her exceptional ability.  Her talent was still firmly in place!  It was simply out of sync.  By paying attention to her surroundings and shifting into phase with the rhythm around her, she would be able to regain her grace and happiness.  She would no longer be muscle bound.  She would enjoy success.  It would all turn out alright in the end.


If you’re struggling with the cares of life right now, take some time to identify the natural rhythms all around you.  Bind your desire to force your way through it.  Sway a little on the bar and begin to feel your momentum build.  Then, when you’re fully synchronized, allow gravity to propel you up to the top!  And, when you’re there make sure to look around a little and smile!

No comments: