Monday, September 21, 2015

Putting "me" Into Words


“He spent his whole life giving hugs and loving people.” – Richard Ure

Putting “me” Into Words

I sat across from Richard.  We hadn’t seen each other for a few weeks so I wanted to spend some time catching up with him and I asked him what he’d been up to.

“I just finished building a new apartment in my house for my dad and brother to live in.”  Richard said to me.

I knew he’d been very busy.  At the same time, I didn’t know what it was that was making him so busy and was surprised by his answer.

“How old is your dad?”  I asked.

“He’s 97.  He’s the greatest man I’ve ever known.  My brother is 56 and has pretty much ‘check out.’  He has dementia so his mind is gone.  But!  That’s o.k.  He spent his whole live giving hugs and loving people.”  He went on to say.

It made me think of how some one might describe me toward the end of my life.  Then I wondered what I wanted my life’s description to be and if I’ve devoted enough time to creating it.  Then it dawned on me. 

Since I’m slightly older than Richard’s brother, I’ve already spent what could be considered a “whole live” creating my personal description.  “Hum . . . I wonder how I would put ‘me’ into words and has my purpose in life been clear enough, for everyone who knows me, to use the same words I have in mind as my portrayal?”  I thought.

Every person’s portrayal may change based on varying roles during their lifetime.  And, we are often described by others based on those roles at any given time, son, daughter, business owner, wife, husband, friend, lover, sports enthusiast, student, etc.  And our roles change during different seasons of life.  But, I believe we all have an individual core, something that defines who we really are.

So, when you ask yourself “I wonder how I would put ‘me’ into words” you’re asking something simple, yet hard.  It’s simple because you’ve already spent your lifetime creating the answer to that question.  Yet, it’s hard because when you look very closely, you may not like the answer.  Whether your answer is simple or hard, I suggest that it’s an important question to ask yourself.

Another friend of mine suggested a simple, self-illumination exercise to me a few years ago.  Said she, “I want you to commit to ask the people you’re working with why they chose to work with you and then come back and report their answers to me.”  It was a hard commitment for me to make because I wasn’t sure I wanted to hear their answers!  But, I made the commitment and asked the question.  The results changed my view in an unanticipated way.

I invite you to complete the same exercise with a small twist.  Will you commit to ask the people who know you best, ‘how would you put “me” into words?’  I hope the results will change your view so you’ll be able to sculpt your future into one of anticipation, hope and peace. 

I look with anticipation to hear those who love you say, “They are the greatest person I’ve ever known & they spent their life hugging and loving people.”

No comments: