Monday, February 23, 2015

Think of the Results


Robert Mulari

Think of the Results
Rob moved in across the street from me a few years ago.  The first thing I noticed about him was how he loved to have good fun.  I would see him racing around on a bicycle or an ATV on a regular basis.  He always had a huge smile on his face and it was that smile that made me want to get to know him better.

As I spent time getting to know him, I learned that he was a pastor who had decided to move from Arizona with his family to my neighborhood.  But, he isn’t just a pastor.  His passion is being a pastor of youth.

Rob and his whole family, Kelly – his wife and his two children, are all dedicated to helping troubled youth.  Their last few years have been focused on teenaged girls at Alpine Academy where they work tirelessly to make a difference in the world, one girl at a time.  He once told me that he knows if he can “change the life of one girl, he can change generations of lives in the future.”

I watched him changing the future just three days ago when I worked with him in his home.  His face gave off a radiant, welcoming glow as soon as he walked in the door.  The entire feeling of the house changed just because he entered.  He took the time to greet each person there.  It didn’t matter how old they were or what they looked like.  He confidently smiled and focused on each individual.

I watched him work with each person in a dedicated, kind and loving way.  He was directing the whole household while shifting potential conflict into quiet harmony.  In fact, he was able to offer gentile suggestions in way that made everyone want to work together.  No one felt defensive at all.

It was clear that not everyone was on the same page when he entered.  Others disagreed with him.  Yet, his loving approach disarmed everyone completely.  He very effectively demonstrated that a person could disagree with others and not be disagreeable!  I stood in admiration of his skill and presence!

When I left and tried to focus on other things, my mind was not willing to shake his example.  “If I could only master Rob’s gentle approach!”  If I could disagree with others and not be disagreeable I could live with less stress.  I could be happier.  I could more effectively improve the lives of generations to come.

Think of the results.   Think of the results if you and I were to do this together!

No comments: