Monday, November 11, 2013

Are You Driving From The Back Seat?


“Who’s driving you into the future?”
-Sharla Ellis

Are You Driving From the Back Seat?
Many years ago I was an intern at a local radio station.  In those days, local stations had their own internal departments; news, sports, advertising, music and public service.  It was an exciting place to be.

One of the reasons it was such an exciting place to be is that it was a hub of information gathering and distribution.  If there was information about a big game for the local university or breaking news it was all flowing into that small building. And, once we began to focus on a story, the amount of incoming information quickly increased.  It was a lot like being constantly plugged in to an energizing electrical outlet.  I found it to be an enlightening and invigorating environment.  But, it also had potential to become a trap with the ability to keep me from doing my job.

My job at the station was to create a cooperative advertising program.  I was tasked with creating partnerships between local businesses and product manufacturers.  These partnerships had the possibility of increasing profitability, not only for the radio station, but also for many local businesses. 

But, opportunity was hidden from plain view.  It took lots of research to ferret out good partnerships and it was painstaking work.  It had none of the glamour or excitement of breaking news or sports!  It also required self-discipline to pay attention and do the necessary, everyday tasks that were required to create success.

I soon found that my job did not drive itself toward success and that it was easier to let the exciting parts of the station drive and keep me entertained with an illusion of being in the center of it all.  It was a lot like jumping into the back seat of a car and going wherever the day’s hired driver wanted to take me.

When I finally figured out that I was in the clutches of a trap it was too late.  I had allowed joy riding in the back seat to transport me away from successfully completing my work.  My internship was over and I never did create a successful cooperative advertising program.  I had started with a purpose and never fulfilled it.

My friend Sharla was teaching me about living with purpose this week when she asked, “Who’s driving you into the future?”  And, “Are you trying to drive from the back seat?”

As soon as she made those statements my mind immediately went back to the radio station and my experience there.  That’s when I knew I had to share this story with you.  It ‘s so easy to get into the habit of sitting in the back seat of life by letting others, as well as sought after distractions, drive us into a future we may not want.  I watch it often.

I observe many who are consumed by the newest television shows, cutting edge music, sporting events and other distractions.  At the end of the day their time has been consumed and their envisioned future fades.  But, you and I don’t have to live that way.

Simply being aware of this danger will help us consciously open the driver’s door by determining what it is we want out of life and then blocking a small amount of time each day to drive a little further down our chosen path.  Yes, it takes discipline to do so, but when I look at successful people like Sharla it encourages me.

The stature of such people and their amazing accomplishments show all of us that it can be done.  In fact, Sharla shrugs off her success by saying, “Hey, I didn’t know any better!  I just went out and did what I was told I had to do to be successful!”

So, let’s follow her example and shrug off our own life traps and then live by the advice of one of my favorite bumper stickers, “Get in, shut up, and drive!”

No comments: