Sunday, November 25, 2012

Giving From and to the Heart


“Now I know my life has been a complete success.”

-Joy’s Mother

Giving From and to the Heart

“Are you on the phone?”  Joy sheepishly asked as she poked her head through my door.
“No. Come in.”  I replied.

I watched with enchantment as my friend Joy took her characteristically short strides toward where I was sitting.  Her eyes were dancing with light as they twinkled.  Her eyes always twinkle when she talks.  It’s one of the delightful benefits of being in conversation with her.
“Can I tell you what we did for my mother’s birthday?”  Joy asked circumspectly.

“Of course you can!” I said with great anticipation.
So, she began to tell me how she had been caring for her aged mother and was concerned about how sad she had been for the past few months.  “Her birthday was coming up and I wanted to do something that would make her feel better.  I thought and thought about what I could do for her and finally I came up with an idea.” She explained.

I was enthralled with her story knowing that if there was ever a person with a pure heart, it was Joy.  She was describing her priceless process of taking the time to give a true gift; a gift from the heart, to heal the heart of another.
“I asked my siblings and their children to write a letter to my mother.  Then I took the fifty-seven letters and had them bound into a book with photos of each of the participants.  We had a big party.  Everyone was there!”

She continued, “When my mother began to read her book she teared up immediately.   Later that night one of my children saw Grandma’s bedroom light on and heard her crying.  She knocked on the door to make sure she was alright.”
“Was she alright?”  I thought to myself with eagerness.

“Grandma stayed up all night reading her book from cover to cover.  When I talked with her the next day she said, ‘Now I know that my life has been a complete success!’” Joy said in a halting, heart-felt voice.
I could feel my own heart pushing out of my chest up into my throat.  The holiday season was starting in less than a week and I knew the importance of the lesson Joy was teaching me.  It’s a lesson I never want to forget; a true gift is something that can only be transferred directly from one heart to another.  It is freely giving of yourself to enhance the happiness and well being of another.  Its effect will continue long after the giving and will change the life of both giver and receiver.  It has be ability to change many lives.

Joy’s gift has changed my life.  I hope it has changed yours.  May our acts of giving provide pleasure and show gratitude in the way of Joy!

No comments: