Sunday, October 21, 2012

The 3% Solution


“You know how to do it!”

-      Dr. David Remington

The 3% Solution

I could visualize what my friend Dave was describing to me. “I have two huge stacks of text books by the side of my bed.  They’re the most current ones I can find.  I devour them every night!”  You’d never guess that a person closing in on sixty would be talking to me about text books with such passion; especially since he is not a professor or a teacher at a school.  He’s an orthodontist and dentist.
We were talking in his office and I asked him how he was always on the cutting edge of his profession.   He has amazed me with his use of the newest technologies and techniques.

“When the economy began to crash in 2007 I knew I had to make changes in my practice to survive.” He said.  “I took all my savings and reinvested them into my business.  I took courses from the best in the field and purchased new equipment so I could give my patients the best care possible.”
My eyes began to wander around the room as we talked.  I saw pictures of him with other doctors in different circumstances.  I asked him about the photos I saw.  “How did you get to be friends and collogues with such an august group of doctors?”

“You know how to do it,” he replied.  “I do research about training opportunities from the leaders in my field and then I contact them and take their courses.  Most of them are at least one week in length.”
“How can you afford to take the time off to do that?” I asked. 

“I can’t afford not to!” He answered.  “When I started down this road it took me a great deal of time to sort through all of the sales materials and get to understand who the best people and the real experts are.  Then I found out that the courses they offered were real hard to get in to.  They sold out fast!”
“Then I noticed that the people at the top of my field all know each other and they hang out together.  I had to demonstrate that I was one of them.  Once I did that it became easy.  It’s made me excited about my profession again and I love to learn more and more about it.  It means a lot to me to be able to help my patients in ways that very few others are able to!”

I looked seriously at him and asked, “So, you’re telling me that the best investment you’ve ever made is in yourself?”
“Yes!” He said.  “I’m busier than ever before during a time when lots of people in my field are struggling to survive.  Anyone can do what I’ve done in whatever field they work in.”

I listened carefully to what he was telling me.  I knew you’d want to know this important information so I’m sharing it with you.  Dave has shown me that what matters most in professional life is continual investment in yourself so you can be stay on the cutting edge.  Find out who the best in your field are and learn from them.  Make sure you surround yourself with this group of top producing people so you will be continually inspired by their vision and work.  Finally, give your knowledge and expertise to your clients freely so they’ll be able to benefit from your skills and competency. 
You’ve heard the 80-20 rule, but in my profession it’s now a 97-3 rule.  3% of the people make 97% of all the money!   If you follow these steps as revealed by Dave you’ll get the same type of strong business he enjoys!  You’ll be part of that 3% and have an inspiring professional life!  I know you can do it!  Start today.

No comments: