Sunday, August 12, 2012

Cloaked Opportunity


“When I don’t feel as if I’m making enough progress due to seemingly insurmountable obstacles, I never worry because I know it’s a sign of copious opportunity.”
- George Smith

Cloaked Opportunity

I sat in a large room filled with people, but it felt as if I was alone, captivated with what George was teaching me.  George has a lot to teach because of his experience, knowledge and wisdom.  You see, he was a child during the Great Depression, one of the worst economic periods in world history.  He also saw the damage done to veterans who returned from World War I, the war to end all wars.  And, while he didn’t fight in World War II, he ran a large corporation and had trouble staffing important positions as a result of the war.
What is most fascinating to me is that during his leadership, in those challenging times, his company’s revenue more than doubled!  When I asked him how that could be, he looked at me through his horn rimmed glasses and said, “I simply had no doubt about our success and surrounded myself with others who believed in the same vision.”

He continued, “When I don’t feel as if I’m making enough progress due to seemingly insurmountable obstacles, I never worry because I know it’s a sign of copious opportunity!  Obstacles crush some people.  But, I’ve found they create opportunities that didn’t exist before.  They change the landscape! ”
“He knows what he’s talking about.”  I said to myself.  I thought of how the world has changed over his life time.  He has kept his philosophy through it all and still looks forward to the future with eagerness.

“I’m at my best when most people are wringing their hands.  I see two things in tough times.  First, there is less competition because many others are paralyzed by fear.  Second, I’ve learned to look at historical recurrences so I can accurately predict what is coming in the future.  These two patterns have been repeated over and over again.  I have learned to count on them and I’ve never been sorry.”
George has been able to count on constants in what others view as inconsistent times.  That’s why he is always positive in personality and positive about the good things that will certainly be coming into his life.  While the future remains cloaked for virtually everyone in the world, it is merely an exciting smorgasbord of opportunity for him.  He loves to share his secrets with everyone who will listen.  He wants them to enjoy the same advantages he’s enjoyed throughout his long, successful life.

“Almost everything is mental.” George says.  “The most important landscape to change is that of your mind.  Be excited when you see others running for cover.  Be a student of history and learn its lessons so you don’t make the mistakes of others.  Then apply what you learn so you can use it as your guide when others are seemingly lost and discouraged.  Finally, never stop living.  I view death as a choice in most cases.  I continue to choose to live and I hope you will too!"

No comments: