Sunday, June 17, 2012

“I don’t think we will ever be able to afford our dream house.  But I want to be able to continue to experience what makes me happy.”
Nancy

Enjoy Your Portion

Since I spend a large portion of my life walking through houses with my Clients, I hear many comments about what people consider when they are looking at homes to call their own.  I’ve been especially interested in a big change in people’s attitudes over the past five years ago.  It used to be that people would be stretching as far as they could to buy the largest, most expensive house they could find.  Now I rarely see that strategy and most people I work with are seeking a comfortable home they can easily afford and be happy in.

I say happy because when people were pushing their financial boundaries they may have been getting a house to make them feel powerful, successful or accomplished, yet it didn’t provide them with happiness.  And, such financial imprudence has caused many people to pay a huge price financially, physically, emotionally and personally.  
Since I spend a great deal of time with my Clients I get to know most of them quite well personally and that’s what I enjoy most about my work in real estate.  As I was working with one couple this week, Nancy made a comment that really made me think about happiness and personal portion.  She said, “I don’t think we will ever be able to afford our dream house.  But I don’t want to be house poor and not be able to do anything else.”  When I heard her say this, I quietly said within me, “It’s wonderful to see a person who clearly understands the concept of personal portion!”

I first began to learn about this concept when I lived and worked in Saudi Arabia.  While there, I made friends with some guys from the Philippines.  We would spend most of our weekends together watching movies and enjoying other activities.  One of these guys was in his mid sixties and had been working in Saudi Arabia as a laborer for more than twenty years.   He was there to make enough money to provide for his family, who he got to visit for a couple of months once every five years.
On one occasion, he came over to me with one of the largest grins I have ever seen on another person. 

“I just finished paying for my house!” He announced.  “Would you like to see a picture?”
 “Yes. I would really like to see it!”  I said.

He immediately handed me the photo and said, “Isn’t it beautiful?”
“Yes!” I said.  The whole time trying my very best to show genuine happiness while trying to hide my shock.  You see, he showed me a photo of what we would consider to be a shack in the United States.  And, I was genuinely happy for his accomplishment.

This humble man was one of the hardest working, happiest people I have ever met and he was my teacher about personal portion.  I learned that a person can only be happy when they are satisfied with the portion of the world they receive.  All of us can follow his example should we seek true happiness.

If you’re looking for true happiness, look at your portion of the world and be enthused with it; this small change, in your view, will allow your happiness to increase dramatically almost instantly. 

No comments: