Monday, September 26, 2011

Life’s Two-way Mirror


With the sun rise of each day I spend a few minutes in the renewing rays looking through my eyes at a face that is familiar yet ever changing.  My well-known face is looking back at me through a looking glass that reveals only an image of my own making.

Your own making!  You may say.

“Yes”, is my reply.

When looking through my own eyes I see only what I’ve created.  I know the ever increasing lines that now appear with more and more frequency.  I know the look of the eyes and the sagging of the eyebrows as they encroach upon evermore pressing up eye lids.  I know the hair, the nose, and the ears.  And, too often, I am the only one who is all-knowing of the intention that lies contained within the clearly worn cover.

When looking in the mirror, sometimes we all fail to see the intention that lies right before our own eyes.  We act as if it is hidden behind the face that stares back at us.  But it is not.  And, while intention can sometimes be misinterpreted by others in life’s two-way mirror, it should never be forgotten as one of life’s most powerful implements.  It is a powerful tool that can be harnessed as an engine of personal growth and happiness.  I was reminded of its power during a recent telephone conversation.

I was speaking with my mother who is now well in to her eighties when I wondered about how a person of such seasoning views life’s purpose, so I asked, “What are your goals in life?”

She answered quickly, without hesitation, “To have a strong and happy family and to be able to spend time showing my love to my children and grandchildren.”

As soon as her words breathed their life into my ears I thought, “Yes, of course, how silly it was of me to ask.”

She lives her intention each and every day.  She lives it in a way that is so clear that it makes life’s seemingly one-way mirror into a breathing, two-way mirror each moment of every day.  She does this in such an obvious and pure way that everyone who comes into contact with her sees her intention unmistakably.  And, they immediately reflect this strong intention back in the same clear, kind and loving way.

You can do the same.  Live your good intentions through active pursuit and the image you see in the mirror will soon look more attractive with the passing of time and you’ll also see that your life’s mirror will become a two-way mirror that will reflect your goodness infinitely.

No comments: