Sunday, March 20, 2011

Dream Big, So Small Things, Incorporate New Discoveries

"I am so depressed. I didn't get the promotion I applied for."

  • Kilee Johnson

Dream Big, Do Small Things, Incorporate New Discoveries

It's the middle of the afternoon when my phone rings. Even though I was totally absorbed in my work I could see who was calling so I decided to answer the call. It was my daughter, Kilee.

"I was just calling because I didn't get the promotion I applied for. I talked with Human Resources and they were supposed to tell me what I could do to prepare for another opportunity, but they didn't help me at all!" Were the first words I heard.

"I just don't feel as if I'm making any progress." She went on to say.

I mostly just sat and listened because she was verbalizing exactly how I've felt on many occasions. I bet you've felt that way too.

When I could feel that it was my turn to speak. I decided to pass on some things I've been thinking about a lot over the past year or so.

"Life is made up a mostly small moments." I said.

Too many times people think that success in life is all about getting the big promotion, making the big play, or getting that one huge commission that will change their life. Those are indeed important events, but they are far and few between for the vast majority of us. And, when they come you should immerse yourself in them fully. Step back and really enjoy them. Savor the moment. But, don't forget all of the other moments!

"I've found that as long as concentrate on four things it really helps me." I said.

"What four things?" She replied.

"First, I make sure I have a clear vision of what my ultimate goal is."

"You need to make sure you know what your destination is so you know exactly where you're going. If you don't know what you're trying to become, then there is nothing you can do every day to work toward that goal. I think that may be what you're really struggling with."

The second thing is so intricately woven into the first that most people miss its significance. It's the only way you can really tell if you're making progress; make sure you're doing small things every day to reach your goal. Outline each activity and know what you need to do on a regular basis so you can incorporate them into your personality. They must become who you are.

Perhaps the most intriguing thing about this approach to life is that you will discover new traits to develop along the path to your goal. There is no way to know all of these unknowns today! Just use the accomplishment of your daily objectives as confirmation of who you're becoming. Finally, have faith that the right things will happen for you as you keep your focus and become your goal one step at a time. It will happen! Don't be discouraged!

Dream your dream, do the small things to become that dream on a daily basis, incorporate your discoveries along the way, and keep your eye firmly fixed on who you will become in the end. You can do it!

No comments: