Sunday, January 9, 2011

Howdy Stranger

"I'm proud of you."

  • The Cowboy in the restaurant

Howdy Stranger

If you've watched a few western films you'll be familiar with the phrase, "howdy stranger." In the old films, they're always spoken in a friendly, easy going manner for the express purpose of making a tired and weary traveler feel welcome and at ease. It's part of a legendary "western hospitality" that those of us living in the American West are bound to live our lives by. After all, the American West is a vast landscape that requires travelers to move long distances to get from settlement to settlement. But, while the methods and frequency of travel, along with much of the landscape has changed the human need for a friendly howdy stranger has not.

Last night I sat in a restaurant with my wife and a discouraged daughter. We were out in an effort to raise the spirits of a girl who had a day filled with experiences that fell short of her expectations and it seemed as if nothing we were saying was making a difference.

Then, without one word, a tall gray haired man wearing an extra large black cowboy hat walked past and created a difference atmosphere just with his presence. He was an imposing sight. His flowing gray hair was brushed back across his ears and helped the contrasting hat frame a long tanned face. He was thin and wore blue jeans that buffed his deep brown boots as he walked. And, as he sat down at the table across from us I could hardly help but look across the carpeted isle at this vision of Western Americana.

But, I wasn't the only one looking. It took him but a few minutes before he got up and walked over toward us and spoke directly to my daughter who was wearing a different style of dress than his own.

"Are you a dancer?" He said.

"No, I'm a cheerleader." She replied.

"Well, you look like my granddaughter who's a dancer!" He said with a smile on his face. "I'm proud of you."

Then without any hesitation he continued on his way with his face still smiling. My daughter's face was smiling now as well. And, I marveled. Here was a total stranger who had accomplished in a few seconds what I hadn't been able to in a few hours. It made me think to myself, "howdy stranger!"

I'm glad to know that a good, heart-felt howdy from a complete stranger still has the power to making a tired and weary traveler feel welcome and at ease during times of personal struggle. So, the next time you're out amongst strangers give them your best howdy and see if it doesn't brighten their face a little.

No comments: