Sunday, August 15, 2010

Merging Your Past, Present and Future

"Sometimes I feel as if I've been left alone."

  • Merridy Bagley

Merging Your Past, Present and Future

I sat back and listened as Merridy talked about the history of her land and its relationship to her mother. As she talked, I thought back to the times I had spent with her mother and a flood of warmth came rushing into my body. She was a woman with an oversized heart and a hearty sense of humor.

One day we sat laughing as she described the practical jokes her own mother had played on her and her children Merridy and Jeff. It was so funny I had tears running down my face and I could hardly sit in the chair. It's no wonder that Merridy misses such a delightful part of her life. But then I thought about that delight in more detail.

What does it really mean to be alone? What role do fond memories play in our concept of being alone? Would I feel more alone if I didn't have any wonderful memories to course through my body? Can a person feel complete and fulfilled without the physical presence of another? Perhaps these are questions best left to each individual to answer, but I wanted to talk with you about a principle I call "Merged Presence."

If a person did nothing but spend every waking moment thinking about the past then we would say "they live in the past." That would mean that their present life doesn't really exist and that would be a shame. Sometimes as people age they fall in to this trap. Still, a person should remember the past and use it to improve their present.

A person who lives in the present, who has learned valuable lessons in the past, can live more wisely than someone who lives without a foundation based on experience and relationships. Both of these bring richness to the present. The trick is to unite these essential seasoning elements into life so they don't become an impediment to new growth.

One must understand that combining the past and the present is a process, and that the success of any process is subject to art and the ratio of ingredients used. It's like using a recipe. So, here's a recipe you can try; if you'll remember that individual taste varies so you may need to do some tweaking.

First, always use fresh ingredients. Make sure you're always living your life with a zest for what comes to you in the present. If you open your eyes and accept the beauty around you, then you'll enjoy each moment. Second, blend your present with the experiences of your past, while selecting fond memories of important relationships to treasure up within your heart. Third, allow the emotions of warm relationships to leaven and make your present more interesting and exciting. Finally, enjoy your own combination of the past, present, and future while remembering that each provides separate, essential ingredients and you'll never truly be alone.

No comments: