Monday, June 21, 2010

More Than Just Mowing Weeds

"You didn't come here to cut weeds; you came to talk to me."

-Ed Dalton

More Than Just Mowing Weeds

On Memorial Day I got up and started my lawn mower. When I saw my friend Ed Dalton the day before, I was reminded that he could use some help in his yard. So this day was going to be a day of action, not just a day of remembrance.

I road my mower up the street, feeling the fresh air blowing across my face in anticipation of the work. Since it wasn't far, it wasn't long before I could begin to mow the weeds that were creating a fire hazard around the newly constructed home. And, as I worked, the dust soon began to swirl around me. The mower cut through the weeds with relative ease and I settled back to finish the work.

In a few minutes I spied Ed walking through the dust on his way toward me. We talked for a moment and then he began to clear rocks that were hidden in the dust and vegetation. Our work moved forward more quickly and in no time at all we were finished; and the house was much safer from a potential fire.

We were covered in dust and our throats were dry so Ed invited me to sit for a while with a cold drink. It was a chance for us to enjoy each other's company. We began to talk.

We talked and discussed lots of things. We talked about our families and some of the challenges we face. We talked about business and how our lives were being affected from the economic shifts that are occurring all around us. It was great to sit and just talk. As our conversation began to ebb, Ed made a most astute statement.

"You didn't come here to cut weeds; you came to talk to me."

I listened to his words, but more importantly, I felt his words in my heart. I knew he was right. As a result of our conversation and work together we no longer felt separate or alone. We were able to share our fears and our hopes. We renewed our friendship with the confirmation of common hopes, dreams and challenges. I was glad I came to talk with Ed.

I could have spent the day just cutting weeds. I'm glad I didn't. Had I stayed home I would have just done yard work. But, when I went to cut weeds with Ed I got a lot more. I got a renewal of spirit I could get in no other way.

Make time to help friends on a regular basis so you'll be doing more than just completing tasks and living alone. You'll be building relationships that will renew your friendship and spirit. If you will, you and your friends will enjoy greater strength and courage to face whatever life brings your way.

No comments: