Monday, May 17, 2010

Goodness Can Spring From Ashes

"What was once bad has now turned to good."

Goodness Can Spring From Ashes

A few years ago I made a mistake in my business that was extremely painful financially and I knew I'd be feeling the financial consequences for a long, long time. I thought at the time that it might even have devastating consequences. As usual when such things happen to me this one was not as bad as my mind created it to be.

I don't know if you're like me in that way or not, but I know the way my own mind works as it's always running out to create the absolute worst that can happen. Luckily I have enough experience with my own thoughts now that if I simply take a few moments to "talk myself off the ledge" I can regain my hope and faith in the future. What I have learned is that there's always a future and its brightness depends upon my ability to create it.

While I know this is true, I had an experience during the last week that brought a new dimension to this principle to me in an unforgettable way. The experience from a few years ago that I thought was a "bad" thing to have come into my life inexplicably revealed itself to be a good thing! I say inexplicably because I'd already cataloged it as having cemented its place in the past and had stopped worrying or wondering about it.

When I got an email from a friend telling me that the situation had turned itself from being a burden, to more people than just me, into an opportunity for everyone I was stunned; so much so that I've been spending the past few days admiring the wonder of it all. As a result, I've discovered a few things.

First, when something happens in my life, perceived to be good or bad, it most likely isn't what I think it is at all. Second, things never turn out the way I expect them to so I shouldn't jump to any conclusions as to their meaning during the immediate time. Third, there are so many things "hidden" from my view that I don't always know how events will unfold in the future. Fourth, events that I perceived as negative will often provide peace, comfort and opportunity in the future.

Finally, if you've had an experience in the past and it has been haunting you, stop and take a second look. Examine all of the growth and goodness that may have come from it rather than simply labeling it as a "bad" thing. It may be the very thing that will bring you great joy and happiness in the future. If you'll simply give it a try, the view outside your windows will certainly change to one of hope and confidence. You deserve a great view of life so give it a try!

No comments: