Monday, April 5, 2010

What Handicap!

"I don't know what I would do without him"

  • Ronda Landes

What Handicap!

I've known Ronda for a few years now, but as of late I've found that I really haven't known her at all. It was a long time before I knew she had a little boy with autism and that she is a single mother. When I found out, my esteem for her catapulted to a whole new level; knowing just a small amount about what challenges she has outside of work caused me to see her in a different light.

Then one day I could see a difference in her face. I knew something was wrong. I asked.

She told me that her son had been having some problems. And over time, Ronda revealed some of those problems bit by bit. I could see her building anxiety but really had no idea of what she was dealing with until weeks and weeks had passed. Finally, I saw an opportunity to learn more.

We were able to spend some time on the telephone long after work hours last week. I asked her how things were going and she said, "My son is coming home! They were going to institutionalize him. I told them no. I don't know what I would do without him." I was captivated and listened to more of her story.

She was getting her son back because she continued to push for answers. She wouldn't give up. I remember thinking, "Here's a woman who's striving to find answers from a son who can't communicate with her, or anyone else, with typical language and she's been triumphant!"

Her son had inexplicably become violent and they didn't know why. At her insistence the medical establishment finally found that he had severe sinus infections as well as acid reflux disease. Now that they're treating him properly he has become calm again. (I've had sinus infections in the past and I can tell you that if I had to deal with one continuously I'd be a much different person as well!) The lad was in incomprehensible pain and had no way to communicate it!

In the end, it was a mother's love that made the difference after months of struggle. Most people see handicapped children as a burden. Ronda see's her son as the love of her life. She's created a life with a deeper appreciation and love than the vast majority of humans will ever know. Her communication with her son is clearer than most due to her deep, never-ending desire.

Ronda's amazing desire and commitment to love and family has increased my own desire to be a better person, husband and father. What would we do without people such as Ronda and her son to show us the way to a better love, family and life?

No comments: