Sunday, September 13, 2009

Drinking From the Fountain of Youth

"I have him trying all kinds of new things. And, he really loves the change in his life."

  • Chris Barber

Drinking From the Fountain of Youth

The four of us met in the driveway and began to walk toward the house. My friend Chris is in the process of purchasing this home to share with his wife Kristin and his father. As we begin to walk I introduce Chris to Chrisanne and Preston; both key members of my team.

Chrisanne begins to ask Chris questions so we can do our work well.

"Tell me about your Father," She says.

"My Father is retiring here," replies Chris.

"He's worked hard his whole life and I'm helping him find a new life."

"He likes to fish and we just got him a new car. He didn't think he'd like it. But, he loves it!"

"He's been living the same life for a long time. I'm introducing him to all kinds of new things."

Chris is much younger than I am, so when he talked about his father living the same life for a long time it made me begin to think. I listened as Chris went on. They were now doing all kinds of things together and I thought what a perfect match they were for each other.

Chris and Kristin are well educated and full of fun. They live an active lifestyle and as far as I can tell, they live life in an all-in-love sort of way. That means they do lots of fun outdoor activities that will keep them happy, fit and active well past my age. It was clear to me that they would add a new and wonderful dimension to his Dad's life.

On the other hand, Chris' Dad's life will be adding a voluminous history and depth of experience to their lives as well. I know that they can't help but benefit from the wisdom of a kind and successful man. Yes. It is a perfect match; the old with the young; the tried and true with the cutting edge.

We continued walking until we got into the entry way of the house. Once inside we all stopped and our eyes couldn't help but focus on the huge floor to ceiling fireplace as it reached toward its peaked escape through the roof. We all listened as Chris painted his vision for the entry way of their new life.

"New life" began to have a new meaning for me as we stood there. I looked over at Preston. I rely on him to do things I can't do. He has exceptional talent. He sees things differently than I do because he's at least twenty years younger. Still, I'd say we're more than just business associates, we're friends as well. Knowing that I can rely on him to fill in my "gaps" makes my life a lot better.

The four of us then walked past the gap between the entry way and the living area of the house. We stand in awe of the vistas that have opened up before us and I realize that new vistas have also opened up in my life. I've begun to see a new resource open to everyone, everywhere.

As I have aged the people that have gone before me have begun to pass from my life as in a dream. Their impact is still with me, it's just that they've gone. I've learned all I can from them now. But, there is opportunity for renewal.

This renewal is in the form of younger generations that are bringing new life and a new vision to all of us. Embrace these new generations so you can become more complete. Allow them to bring the past, present and future into your life.

My mind flashes back to the present moment. The four of us stand in the voluminous living room that will soon become a place of joy and refuge for my friend Chris. I hear the excitement in his voice as he outlines his plans. His youthful exuberance gives me a reason to make some plans for myself.

Youth is not wasted on the young. It's a continuous store from which we may all profit if we will simply seize the opportunity to build new relationships. I invite you to bring new youth into your life by selecting young friends that can give you new views, new hope and a new appreciation for your life. I hope you can soon say that many of your best friends are also your youngest friends.

Youth can be yours again. You simply have to befriend it so you can taste from the fountain of youth every day!


 

No comments: