Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Power of Care

“I’ll make sure you’re taken care of.”
- Joe White


The Power of Care

I was driving in Syracuse Utah this week with my friend Reman Jacobsen. He’s a great handyman and was going with me to take a look at some work for a Client of mine. As we came to a stop light I noticed four young girls on the side of the street getting ready to cross right In front of us.

After looking both ways the girls put their arms around each other and began to walk forward. It was a striking picture to see their smiling faces as they filled the crosswalk from side to side. I felt mesmerized as they laughed, talked and almost skipped arm-in-arm to the north side of the street. I remember thinking, “Now that’s something you don’t see every day!”

Too many of my days have been spent thinking such a thought as this, when it is clear that if I will just take the time to watch every day occurrences it will be obvious to me that such caring is all around. I really do want to see more caring and I also want to be more a part of it.

During this same drive as I talked with Reman, on our return to Salt Lake City, I asked him if he was sure he could perform the work for the price he had quoted. He simply looked up at me and said, “I don’t need to be rich. I just need to make enough to be able to do a good job so I can take care of people.” He went on to explain to me that by working in this way, people would want to work with him again so he never had to worry about having work to do.

I was refreshed by our conversation as well as by his caring and I thought, “I am so lucky to be associated with such a good man.” He is a good man indeed and it has been my pleasure to have known him for almost seven years.

Another friend for more than ten years also demonstrated deep caring to me this week. Joe White and I have been working together for these many years and have been able to work through a few difficult circumstances when the occasion has called for it. And, we had such an occasionthis week.

When a person we were working with became angry, it was Joe who said, “Let me talk with him. I know we can work things out.” Later I learned that Joe said to this person most sincerely, “I’ll make sure you’re taken care of and will be happy.” That was just the thing that needed to be said. But, more importantly, it was just the thing that needed to be said and believed!

Joe’s words were believed because he has created a reputation of being honest and fair. So, when he says such things, people believe him and know it is true. I was glad to be able to thank Joe for being the kind of person I can talk and work through difficult situations with. It is great to be able to count on others to provide care when I need it!

There have been many times in my life when I haven’t felt as if I had much of anything to give. I’ve felt “spent” through and through. I’ve wondered why anyone would take the time to listen to any advice I have to offer since my own life is so far from perfect. While I know these feelings from trial and error, they have led me to a marvelous discovery.

The most important thing I can offer to people around me is a caring attitude! I don’t have to have all of the answers for everyone I come into contact with. I just have to care about them and offer small gestures that make a grand difference.

Small things such as a smile, a gentle pat on the back, and the offering of an encouraging word make the greatest difference. When we live life in this way somehow the universe makes up the difference and helps us along. It is a miraculous thing to watch!

About three weeks ago I was standing on a step. Below me was an old man struggling to walk on level ground. As he approached the step I saw his eyes become filled with doubt. He knew it would be a challenge for him to lift his legs high enough. He doubted his strength.

I knew I could not restore his strength. I knew I could not remove his fear. I also knew that I could extent a hand to give him some of my strength. So, I reached out and as I reached out he instinctively stretched to take my hand. I gave him a slight boost and a big smile. He smiled back and gave me a “thanks” that lifted my day and told me once again that caring isn’t about solving all the world’s problems. Caring is about offering a little boost to make a huge difference for someone else!

No comments: