Monday, September 7, 2026

Fighting the River, Monday's Warm Cocoa 9.7.2026

“I believe we create our future by what we say and think now.” –Dave Zitting

Fighting the River

“My garden’s production has exploded this year, so I thought I’d make us classic BLT’s using what I’ve grown,” Dave said, just before dashing out the door to gather the ingredients. He soon reappeared with his hands filled with fresh produce, just collected. Then, he laid every ingredient out and began to craft sandwiches. I marveled at his focused attention to detail and craftsmanship. I shouldn’t have been surprised. We’ve been warmly associated for many years, so I’ve learned to trust his advice. And, it was apparent that Dave is also a sandwich artist who was about to give me more than a sandwich.

“You know, I’m a little concerned about the frequency of some particular words you’ve used in our conversations lately,” Dave said as he sliced, garnished and assembled.

His words prickled my ears because I was unaware of what he was referring to. Luckily, he pressed forward; my wellbeing at heart.

“I believe we create our future by what we say and think now,” He reminded me. “I’m afraid you’re subconsciously creating a future you don’t want.”

Then he cited examples of what he was referring to. And, his description of what I had been saying and the implications foretold were right on!

“Interestingly,” I meekly responded, “I’ve been learning a very important life lesson over the past few months.

I went on to tell him that I had held the belief that I could “power through challenges” over the course of my entire life. Now, life was teaching me something new. It was revealing itself as “river,” more powerful than personal will.

A river’s power generally flows in one direction; can give and take life. Yet, it can be navigated directionally by a skilled navigator who can harness its power while beneficially using it to their advantage! An experienced river-runner friend once exhibited this to me on a trip down a roaring river.

My experienced friend had acquired specialized equipment that allowed him to glide along the water with amazing agility and grace so he could enjoy the river’s beauty. I, on the other hand, was inexperienced and had a small blow-up boat, more suited for lounging on a swimming pool! By the end of one day on the river I was exhausted and spent. He was not! He is a river running artist, just as Dave is a skilled friend, coach and sandwich artist.

Dave and I enjoyed the magnificent sandwiches he crafted whilst he counseled me on how to stop fighting life’s river and navigate it more effectively. So, I can harness its power to create more beauty, abundance and joy.

_______________________________________________

I’m Lynn Butterfield, Real Estate & Lifestyle Expert and Television Host for American Dream TV. I’ve helped hundreds of Buyers and Sellers, as an Associate Broker with Coldwell Banker, to discover where and how they want to live and work; to achieve what I call Realesation™. That’s why I bring you American Dream TV, Monday’s Warm Cocoa and Home by Design Magazine to stir your heart and mind. Contact me so I can join you along your own unique path of discovery.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cyq612ohmd8YUwEa5WXZjA3IWJVDPzOe/view?usp=sharing

No comments: