Monday, August 3, 2026

"Identity" Monday's Warm Cocoa 8.3.2026

"I had become absorbed by my title! I could no longer see another identity,”  

Identity

The casual dinner conversation turned as soon as Carly made a profound statement.

“When you’re an adult there is no reason to be unhappy in your work!”

The truth of her statement seemed to suck the air out of the entire, iconic restaurant. Of course, her words weren’t suddenly voiced without basis. The preceding conversation was all about the path she and her husband, Phil, had taken in their careers. Neither of their paths had followed a straight-line to prosperity, happiness and fulfillment. Yet happily, they had arrived in such a position.

“I was working a crushing number of hours,” Phil had explained a few moments before Carly’s insightful remark. “The pressure was always on and when a management change occurred, in the form of a new CEO, the culture shifted immediately. It became even more intense!”

His career had followed a corporate path he characterized as “title focused.” And, it took a major shift in workplace pressure, demand and leadership to reveal his plight.

“I had become absorbed by my title! I could no longer see another identity,” he explained.

Carly’s eyes were soft and understanding as he spoke. She had been through every part of this journey with him and had helped him walk a path toward personal and professional re-discovery. They had been through it together and they had uncovered recognizable warning signs while seeking a more joyful and fulfilling life.

Carly became so adept at seeing those cautionary markers that when she saw them in her own workplace she recognized them immediately.

“The people I was working with were unhappy and negative about everything,” she explained. “That negativity was so endemic I knew it wouldn’t change. That’s when I realized that as an adult there is no reason to be unhappy in your work. I could seek other opportunities.”

She looked for a change in employment and atmosphere and soon found it. Now she’s happily working and using her expertise elsewhere, while appreciating the enhanced positivity at work and home. The same has been true for her husband.

“I wake up excited every day now,” Phil said as he described a recent experience he had as part of his work.

His eyes brightened as he spoke. His eyes lifted and sparkled. The inflection sounding in his voice was one of pure joy. His happiness reflected an identity no longer dominated by a job title.

Phil and Carly have claimed their chosen identities. They are fulfilled, happy and contributing to each other and our community as a result.

_______________________________________________

I’m Lynn Butterfield, Real Estate & Lifestyle Expert and Television Host for American Dream TV. I’ve helped hundreds of Buyers and Sellers, as an Associate Broker with Coldwell Banker, to discover where and how they want to live and work; to achieve what I call Realesation™. That’s why I bring you American Dream TV, Monday’s Warm Cocoa and Home by Design Magazine to stir your heart and mind. Contact me so I can join you along your own unique path of discovery.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e5_jupxN3vxL53bCgPiPgpA5D6-OFEbZ/view?usp=sharing

No comments: